Self Employed

A self-employed contributor is someone who is not in the employment of a registered employer, but is otherwise gainfully employed.

All self-employed persons are required by law to be registered with the NIS and to pay contributions. The contributions rate for a self-employed person is 12.5% of gross earnings. Self-employed persons over the age of 65 are required to pay 1% of gross earnings for employment injury benefit. The maximum earnings on which contributions are payable is $5,200.00 per month.

Effective July 1, 2023, new Self-employed regulations were introduced. Under these regulations, Self-employed persons can:

Choose to pay monthly or in lump sums annually.

  • Pay any amount between $840 or as much as $7,950 annually to qualify for all NIS benefits (including Sickness, Maternity, Unemployment and Employment Injury Benefits).
  • To qualify for benefits the following year you it is mandatory to contribute in the current year (must contribute in 2024 to qualify for benefits in 2025).
  • Enjoy the advantage of no penalties and interest for late payments.
  • Make self-employed payments even when employed elsewhere. (provided that contribution payments amount to no more than $7,950 a year).

Self-employed persons must satisfy the following requirements:

To register as a self-employed person, visit any NIS office with the following documents:


Self-employed persons can qualify for all the benefits offered by the NIS.

Contributors are entitled to claim as many times as they meet the qualifying conditions for a benefit.

The normal age is 16-65. However all employed persons regardless of age must register (this includes temporary and part-time workers and students with summer or part-time jobs). The contribution rate for person below or above the normal age is 1%. It is paid by the employer only.

That is the maximum salary on which NIS contributions must be deducted. Currently it is $5,200 for monthly paid workers. This includes:

  • Overtime payment;
  • Cost of living bonus;
  • Commission on sales or similar payments;
  • Gratuities
  • Payments for night or shift-work
  • Production bonus;
  • Service charge
  • Holiday pay etc.

The employee must present  the following documents:

  • An original certified birth certificate
  • A valid picture ID
  • An original certified marriage certificate (if applicable)

Under the CARICOM Reciprocal Agreement on Social Security, if a person works in more than one member country and paid sufficient contributions in each country to qualify for a pension then, each country is required to pay him a separate pension based on its local Regulations. However, if he did not pay sufficient contributions to qualify for a pension in each country, the contributions paid in each member country is combined to assist him/her in meeting the qualifying conditions for such a pension. If upon combining his contributions he qualifies for such a pension, each member country where he worked is required to pay a proportional amount of the pension payable. Grenada is a party to the CARICOM Reciprocal Agreement on Social Security,

 Grenada also has a Reciprocal arrangement with the Canadian Social Security.