Online Services

Q. What happens to my Contributions if I work in another Country?

Under the CARICOM Reciprocal Agreement on Social Security, if a person works in more than one member country and paid sufficient contributions in each country to qualify for a pension then, each country is required to pay him a separate pension based on its local Regulations. However, if he did not pay sufficient contributions to qualify for a pension in each country, the contributions paid in each member country is combined to assist him/her in meeting the qualifying conditions for such a pension. If upon combining his contributions he qualifies for such a pension, each member country where he worked is required to pay a proportional amount of the pension payable. Grenada is a party to the CARICOM Reciprocal Agreement on Social Security,

 Grenada also has a Reciprocal arrangement with the Canadian Social Security.

Q. What documents are required to get registered as an employee?

The employee must present  the following documents:

  • An original certified birth certificate
  • A valid picture ID
  • An original certified marriage certificate (if applicable)

Q. What benefits does a Self-employed person qualify for?

Self-employed persons can qualify for all the benefits offered by the NIS.

Q. Are non-nationals required to pay NIS contributions?

Every employee/self-employed person in Grenada, Carriacou and Petite Martinique (including non-nationals) must register with the NIS, and must pay contributions.

Q. Is there such a benefit as a paternity benefit?

No, but a Maternity Grant is available for the husband of a woman who does not qualify for a Maternity Benefit.

Q. What are insurable earnings?

That is the maximum salary on which NIS contributions must be deducted. Currently it is $5,000 for monthly paid workers. This includes:

  • Overtime payment;
  • Cost of living bonus;
  • Commission on sales or similar payments;
  • Gratuities
  • Payments for night or shift-work
  • Production bonus;
  • Service charge
  • Holiday pay etc.

Q. How many claims is an employee/self-employed person allowed to make in a year?

Contributors are entitled to claim as many times as they meet the qualifying conditions for a benefit.

Q. Are there any penalties for employers who do not pay in the contributions to the NIS?

There are penalties for employers who fail to pay contributions to the N.I.S. The first step is that a surcharge of 10% of the contributions due and unpaid for the month and interest of 1% for every month that the amount remains outstanding. Employers can also be prosecuted in the courts for the unpaid contributions as well as for non-submission of NIS remittances.

Q. How does one know that the deductions made are being paid at the NIS office?

The NIS encourages all contributors to visit the office periodically to find out whether their contributions are actually being paid and that all other personal information are in order.

Q. What is the time frame for submission of benefit claims?




Within 3 months from the start date of the sick-leave.


Within 3 months from the baby's date of birth OR up to 6 weeks before the confinement (due) date.


Within 3 months from being deemed an invalid.


Within 6 months from the date of death of the deceased.


Within 3 months from the date of death of the insured person.


Within 3 months from reaching age 60.


Q. How much should a person contribute?

 A total of 11% of insurable earnings should be made on behalf of each employee age 16 to 60; 5% should be deducted from the employee’s wages or salary and matched by 6% from the employer.

Employees under the age of 16 and over the age of 60, your employer contributes 1% of your gross earnings on your behalf.

In the case of self-employed contributors it is 11% of an agreed stipulated amount.

Q. At what age can an individual become registered with the NIS?

The normal age is 16-60. However all employed persons regardless of age must register (this includes temporary and part-time workers and students with summer or part-time jobs). The contribution rate for person below or above the normal age is 1%. It is paid by the employer only.

Get the newsletter

Sign up to the NIS newsletter to receive exclusive news, and other information to your inbox.